Early this morning Eastern time in the USA, NASA pulled off an incredible feat of engineering ingenuity by successfully landing the 1,982 lb Curiosity rover on the surface of Mars! It was an amazing spectacle to watch live as the individuals in the control room called out each milestone during the insane landing sequence dubbed the 7 Minutes of Terror. The joy and elation of everyone in the room when it was clear the rover landed safely was one of the most emotional things I have ever witnessed. Truly well done everyone involved with this project! Check out the amazing first pictures the rover sent back just minutes after it landed.
I have compiled a list of relevant links with even more commentary, links, and video below. Check it out and I hope you can appreciate this event as much as I do.
- Planetfest 2012’s video. It’s a mix of the live NASA feed and commentary from Bill Nye with reactions from NASA, Bill, and the crowd at Planetfest. Skip to 2 hours and 33 minutes in to start watching as the 7 minutes of terror begin.
- The first images received from Curiosity after it landed at NASA’s site
- Reddit discussion thread
- Phil Plait’s reaction (The Bad Astronomer)
- Stephen Colbert’s interview with NASA physicist John Grunsfeld the night before landing
- The 7 Minutes of Terror video